|~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~|
What Your Year 1 Child Needs to Know
What Your Year 1 Child Needs to Know is the first in the series of six books—one for each year—for home educators, family members and children to enjoy. Read below to see all the varied topics and activities it includes, and click here to purchase it.
Language and Literature:
- Reading, Writing and Your Year 1 Child, including: Teaching Children to Read and Write
- Familiar and Favourite Poems, including: Activities for Poetry; The Wind by Christina Rossetti; Boat by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Quentin Blake; The More It Snows by A. A. Milne
- Stories and Tall Tales, including: St. George and the Dragon; King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table; The Tiger, The Brahman and the Jackal; Aesop's Fables: Overview; The Lion and the Mouse
- Familiar Sayings, including: 'Practice makes perfect' and 'The early bird gets the worm'
History and Geography:
- World History and Geography, including: Oceans and Continents; Maps and the Globe; Around the World in Seven Ways: Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, Antarctica
- British History and Geography, including: Your Country; The Ice Age; The Stone Age and Stonehenge; The Bronze Age; The Iron Age; Kings and Queens; Queen Elizabeth II; Prime Ministers: Sir Robert Walpole, Winston Churchill and others
- Colour and Shape, including: Colour, Colour Everywhere and Shapes and Mixing Colours
- Looking at Pictures - Really Looking! including: Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose and Narrative Paintings: St George and the Dragon
- Sculpture, including: Sculpture: All Around Art; Sculpture: Make Your Own
- Musical Activities for Parents and Children, including: Beat It!, LOUD and Quiet, Fast and Slow and High and Low
- Favourite Songs, including: 'Old MacDonald', 'The Bear Went Over the Mountain' and 'This Old Man', 'London Bridge Is Falling Down', 'Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush', 'My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean', 'The Farmer in the Dell' and 'The Hokey Cokey'
- Patterns, Classifications and Geometry, including: Sorting Everyday Objects, Similar and Different, What's That Shape?, Shape Sort and Using Words of Position and Direction
- Numbers and Number Sense, including: The Size of 10, How Many?, More and Less, Things That Come in Pairs and Halves and Quarters
- Money, including: Identifying Money and Money Bingo
- Computation, including: Addition: Finding Totals, Subtraction: The Take-Away Game and Addition and Subtraction Stories
- Measurement, including: Measurement Tools, Heavy and Light, Long and Short Events and What Time Is It?
- Plants and Plant Growth, including: Seeds Grow into Plants and What Plants Need
- Seasons and Weather, including: Four Seasons, Weather and Direction of the Wind
- Animals and Their Needs, including: Taking Care of Pets and Animals Care for Babies
- The Human Body, including: The Five Senses and Taking Care of Your Body
- Taking Care of the Earth, including: Forests and Trees and Conservation: Saving and Protecting the Earth
- Magnetism, including: An Invisible Force: Magnetism and What Do magnets Attract?
- Stories About Scientists, including: Joseph Banks, Jane Goodall and Wilbur and Orville Wright